Monday, October 23, 2006

our favorite yummy, yummy macaroni and cheese

My 4 year old daughter named this recipe. She originally wanted it to have 3 "Yummy's" but it was a little too long to write on my recipe card!

I have several different vegan macaroni and cheese recipes, but this particular one I concocted seems to be everyone's favorite.

Our Favorite Yummy, Yummy Macaroni and Cheese

1 lb. cooked pasta shapes (large elbows, shells, etc.)
3 Tbsp. margarine
3 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1 1/2 cups "milk" (soy/rice milk)
1 cup shredded vegan cheese (cheddar/monterey jack blend)
1/2 tsp. mustard

Cook pasta according to package directions.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, garlic, onion and turmeric. Set aside. Melt the margarine in a saucepot over medium/low heat. Once melted, add the flour/spice blend and whisk in pot until combined. Then add 1/2 cup of "milk" and whisk until smooth (no lumps!) After it thickens a bit, add another 1/2 cup of "milk" and whisk. After a few minutes, add the remaining 1/2 cup of "milk" and whisk for several minutes until it thickens a bit. Then add in the cheese and mustard and whisk regularly for about five minutes or so, until the cheese has melted into the sauce.

Pour sauce over freshly cooked noodles.

RATING: ***

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a new vegan and this is my favorite recipe macaroni and ch-reese! maybe my favorite new recipe all together! absolutely delicious. we tried a boxed version and it couldn't compare to yours! even my 1 year old loved it! she did the "i love this new food" dance for it! we also tried the citrus pear walnut bread. also FANTASTIC.

Anonymous said...

i have just became vegan and i seriously cant wait too try this recipe!! :)

Anonymous said...

how many do your recipes serve? I want to make lots for a party and don't know how to make for 20 people

Jori Hodgson said...

I seriously want to make this so badly! I have a trip to the grocery store planned. I'm always nervous before trying mac and cheese recipes because most of so unusual, but this looks really amazing! I'd be curious to see what it would do to not add the turmeric. Guess I'll find out.

I'm in the midst of going vegan right now and am on the look-out for some awesome recipes. I already tried the Healthy Breakfast Cookies and they were delicious and smelt really good while cooking too! Thanks for the excellent posts! Keep it up :)

Lindsay :] said...

This is an amazing recipe! I use daiya cheese with it and it tastes wonderful! Great job! :]

Anonymous said...

My kids and I loved this! They wanted more and more! Awesome recipes, keep 'em comin'!!

Becky said...

Awesome! I have been trying to find a replacement for mac &cheese for my 4 year old daughter because we just recently went vegan in the last few months, but that was still one thing she was hooked on and wanted all the time. Now she can be vegan too! :)

I made this twice so far...the first time I used a vegan cheese block I got at the grocery store. It was ok, but my daughter wasn't that impressed. (Not to mention that when the sauce cooled, it turned back into a block! LOL)

The second time I used Daiya shredded cheese...MUCH better! In fact, its awesome! I didn't have turmeric, so didn't use it, but I did put in some nutritional yeast.

Thanks for solving my mac & cheese dilemma!

Anonymous said...

Yummy thank you for sharing this receipe :)
Perhaps you'd like to check out my blog sometime too I'm a mama raising veggie loving babies !
http://neo-hippietarian.blogspot.com/

Luna Portenia said...

My 9 yo son and I just made this for dinner tonight. We had fresh turmeric and added 1/2 can of corn to the sauce. It tasted so awesome! hubby and daughter couldn't believe it! :)

Unknown said...

Does anyone know how this reheats?

HappyBethGirl said...

Can't wait to try this recipe! What kind of mustard do you use (yellow, honey, brown, dijon, etc)? What brand of cheese works best? How many servings does it make?